BB-8 or R2-D2?
Our Code Fu team have scoured the world to find the best coding robots & resources to teach kids to code. Our Tangible Coding Dojo is an excellent way for students to be introduced to programming in a variety of fun, challenging ways.
- 8 - 16 weeks: 60 minute class/week based on the needs of your school
- Students will learn:
- Computational Logic of CS: Using a variety of coding robots from "Dot/Dash" to "Osmo" to "Code Gamer", students will learn how to create video games and gain further understanding the different elements that make up coding.
- Social Problem-Solving In groups, students will troubleshoot, problem solve, and cooperate in order to complete the coding challenges. Students will also be playing coding board games which encourage them to work together.
- Robots & ipads(unless provided by school) are provided by Code Fu
- Dojo start dates vary; check your school for specific start dates
- The Code Fu Dojo is located in the computer lab at your school
- Class size ranges from 8-12 students
Blocked Based Languages:
Coding uses different languages (HTML, python, Java etc.) to program a computer. "Scratch" and "Blockify" are two languages that were designed specifically for kids. By turning the raw code into very clear descriptions of what they do, students are able to learn how to program(code) by snapping the blocks together. Code.org, Tynker.com etc. all utilize blocked based languages.
Coding can be more than just staring at a computer; with tangible coding we allow our students to observe the uses of programming a computer and how it affects our day to day world. Using a variety of coding robots, students will learn the basics of programming (commands, functions, loops, debugging) in a social atmosphere that promotes problem solving and team building; two qualities often seen in the Technology workforce.